Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Goodbye to Dean



This picture is of Dean and Ruth, Diane's parents, taken last summer at Lake Erie. Dean returned to his Creator Monday evening 7:12 PM. Diane and I were there along with Ruth, Cindy, Diane's sister and her daughter Rochelle and Cindy's husband Gary. It was sad to see Dean go but we are thankful for his life and his over 60 years of service to the Kingdom. The funeral is November 6th.

Besides Ruth and his family Dean loved two things, preaching and fishing. He was active in both right up until this illness put him in the hospital. Ruth thought the more he fished the better he preached so he was improving right up to the end. I've never known someone who took fishing as seriously as Dean. The result was it was rare when he didn't make his limit. He loved fishing for Walleye though he would fish for anything that could be eaten. No catch and release for Dean. We could be certain of a constant supply of Walleye just about year round.

As much as Dean was a fisherman he was even more a fisher of men. He loved ministry and touch countless people for the Lord. He was involved in prison ministry in Coldwater as well as his church work. I've started going through his library and I believe he has copies of every sermon or lesson he ever taught, over 60 years worth. It is overwhelmning. I have been truely blessed by his example of faithful service and his encouragement in my ministry.

We really don't know a lot about what heaven will be like but I have to believe that we will serving and working. I believe that this life is preparation for greater responsibilites there though I have no idea what those will be. I do know that Dean has prepared himself for whatever the Lord wants him to do. Dean, we will miss you.

4 comments:

Carisse said...

I'm sorry for your family's loss, but thankful that you have such great memories of a devoted man of faith. If -- at some time in the future -- you would like to see his sermons, lessons, notes, church bulletins, record books, directories, etc., permanently preserved and made available for study, please let me encourage you to talk with an archivist at one of our schools. I would love to take care of them here at the Center for Restoration Studies, but would be glad to help you work through those decisions regardless of your choice of site for permanent safekeeping.

Campbell Family said...

Dad -- you have written a very touching tribute. I, too, am thankful for his legacy of faith and Kingdom service. We are looking forward to seeing you next week, although of course, we wish it were under different circumstances.

Anonymous said...

May we all be devoted to our life of ministry as Dean was. He was a great man and good example for all of us. I will always cherish the few chances we had to spend time together. Rusty

Diane said...

Thanks, Larry, for those sweet words about my dad. I will never forget how he influenced you to make that decision to full time church work. That was always one of his passions--encouraging other young men to devote themselves to ministry. I have been so blessed in my life to have been given the father I was and then to be called to be your wife and helpmeet.
I love you so much, Diane