Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Dean's Funeral

Yesterday was Dean's funeral. It was an emotional time for all of us as we said good bye to a wonderful father and friend. Visitation took place Sunday and Monday with people coming from fairly long distances. It was a real encouragement to the family and I was introduced to some of Diane's relatives for the first time. Despite the sadness of the occasion it was a time of renewal of friendships and relationships.

I did the eulogy and centered my thoughts around Luke's comment about Barnabas, "He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord." (Acts 11:24 NIV) I really think this is a good summation of Dean's life. It would be great if all of us could have this said about us.

Since Dean was a veteran of WWII he was buried at Custer National Cemetery near Battle Creek, MI about an hour's drive from Coldwater. It was my first time to do a funeral with military honors and that was interesting. We came home yesterday evening and are quite exhausted. There is much before us in helping Diane's mother, Ruth, as she adjusts to life alone. She faces some limitations since her eyesight is very poor. Still, I believe she will do okay though I know it will be difficult.

To those of you who have been praying for us, thank you. I know it has helped us through a difficult time. We are thankful that Dean is with the Father and our prayer is that we will join him as we too live out faithful lives to our God.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Larry,
You did such a good job paying tribute to him. Your words were a great comfort to the whole family.
I love you, Diane